Sunday, July 13, 2008

Meet the new American...

Although Cairns was a really nice tropical town, I was ready to stop living out of my suitcases, move in and for once in my life live in a place bigger than some peoples high schools.  After a short 2 hour plan ride from Cairns to Brisbane, waiting around in the airport for a few hours in order to arrange a ride I had FINALLY made it to my final destination - The International House on the Univeristy of Queensland campus.

Within the first 5 minutes of being in my dorm, I decided that the first thing I want to unpack is my computer so I could get some music while I unpack.  I opened it up, plugged the charger into an american power strip, then plugged the american power strip into an American - Australian adaptor.  Nothing else was plugged into the power strip and at first nothing worked, then I realized that power outlets have a switch here, so I switched the switch. BOOM! A loud noise and a little puff of smoke came out of the outlet. I instantly watched as my floor in my went completely black, my tower go black, then every tower (about 9 of them) go black. Screams of disappoint and panic came from my tower's common room which I found out they were playing drinking games.  I hung my head as I walked down to the common room, opened the door and said "hey guys, my name is Kyle, I'm from California, and I think I just messed up."

Turned out no one has ever 'caused the entire International House to blackout, but Floors and Rooms happen all the time.  An electrical engineer had to be called, which about 3 hours later finally got power back.  I talked to an American who had just moved in a few days ago and he had ironically set up the same exact configuration,  Macbook pro and all.  I was told I didn't do anything wrong, but this building I'm living in is very old and I have poor luck.  Nice to meet you too, Australia.

4 comments:

Boughter said...

"...I had FINALLY made it to my final destination - The International House ... of Pancakes." FTFY

Good show mate (they say that in Australia all the time). So what's next, gonna see if you can knock out your entire block for a few hours?

Kansas friend said...

Kansas friend will be Jenna's new mother-in-law just so you know from now on. Sorry about your outage but the pics are just awesome and fun.

I will enjoy traveling virtually with you in Australia this year and seeing you at the wedding - hopefully you travel more comfortably.

Kansas friend said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
QwkDrw said...

It's gone. The candy ... See's candy. Your See's candy that you left behind. Sorry, it's gone now. Happy birthday !!